The Green Hand® Project
GP Cellulose partnered with UNICEF USA through the Green Hand Project® (GHP) to improve water and sanitation conditions in rural schools in China. For every metric ton of Golden Isles® fluff purchased in China from 2013 – 2019, GP Cellulose made a $1 donation to UNICEF USA. With the support of the Green Hand Project, GP Cellulose has helped UNICEF improve the lives of over 500,000 children in primary and early childhood schools in China, bringing our commitment to UNICEF’s WASH programs in China to $1.5M.
Based on the success of GHP, UNICEF in partnership with the Chinese government is continually working to make sure children’s access to safe water and basic sanitation is available. Lack of adequate sanitation in schools result in illness and missed school days. UNICEF’s water and sanitation programs in China are working to address these issues by:
- Building, upgrading, and maintaining water, sanitation and hygiene facilities.
- Instituting behavior change and awareness campaigns.
- Supporting health programs in schools.
What was accomplished in China
- 50 project schools created created water, sanitation and hygiene action plans.
- 50 project school integrated WASH into education cirriculum.
- 50 project schools developed disaster preparedness plans and climate change adaptation and mitigation action plans.
- 13 schools equipped with new gender sensitive and inclusive WASH facilities benefitting over 5,500 primary school children.
- 13 latrine facilities were completed in schools in Zhong, Zhijin & Sanjiang counties.
- Nearly 500 teachers and more than 35,000 students trained on personal hygiene management.
- With the support of the GP Cellulose sales team the Green Hand Project logo engaged 8 customers, which increased the visibility of the project.
UNICEF and the U.S. Fund for UNICEF do not endorse any brand or product. No portion of the purchase price is tax-deductible.
All statistics regarding China were provided by UNICEF.
©2019 GP Cellulose GmbH. All rights reserved. Green Hand® and the Green Hand Logo are trademarks owned by GP Cellulose GmbH.
The Green Hand® Project
The patented portfolio of Golden Isles fluff pulp has expanded with the new Golden Isles CO™ Fluff Pulp.
GP Cellulose operates four world-class, non-integrated wood pulp mills, one cotton linters pulp mill, and one cotton converting plant in the southeastern United States. We are committed to meeting the needs of our customers in more than 75 countries worldwide with quality products, global logistics and technical services.