The Blue Hand® Project
Positive results from The Green Hand® Project (2013 – 2019), response from customers, and a desire to support critical needs in countries where we do business led us to expand the program to India. From January 2019 to December 2020, GP Cellulose will make a donation of $1 to the UNICEF USA for every metric tonne of Golden Isles® fluff and specialty pulp purchased by customers in India with a maximum contribution of $500,000, to WASH programs in schools and pre-schools (Anganwadi Centers, or AWCs).
Already in 2019, GP Cellulose’s funding has contributed to UNICEF’s WASH programming in India, including by:
- Supporting hygiene messaging on Global Handwashing Day and improving WASH services for more than 615,000 schools, benefiting more than 73 million children.
- Educating over 1,000 school officials, supervisors, village health workers and community members on WASH practices in pre-schools and schools in Bihar state – currently targeted as having the worst WASH indicators in the country.
Funds donated will also be used for capacity building and communication work to strengthen the national WASH in Schools program, which includes:
- Creating four advocacy briefs to advocate for stronger national policies supporting WASH services in schools and AWCs
- Conducting 20 training programs for teachers and school management committee members on the Clean Schools, Clean India campaign
- Conducting 20 training-of-trainers for staff of the Department of Women and Child Development on WASH in AWCs
- Supporting a national communication strategy for the Clean Schools, Clean India campaign and WASH in AWCs
The funds donated will impact pre-schools, primary schools, secondary schools, teachers, Anganwadi workers and staff of Education and ICDS (in-charge of Anganwadi centers).
Support from GP Cellulose will contribute to UNICEF’s national WASH strategy and intervention that will impact 15 vulnerable states, which are: Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, West Bengal, and Assam.
All statistics regarding India are provided by UNICEF.
For more information visit www.unicefusa.org
UNICEF and the U.S. Fund for UNICEF do not endorse any brand or product. No portion of the purchase price is tax-deductible.
©2019 GP Cellulose GmbH. All rights reserved. Blue Hand™ and the Blue Hand Logo are trademarks owned by GP Cellulose GmbH.
The Green Hand® Project
The patented portfolio of Golden Isles fluff pulp has expanded with the new Golden Isles CO™ Fluff Pulp.
GP Cellulose operates four world-class, non-integrated wood pulp mills, one cotton linters pulp mill, and one cotton converting plant in the southeastern United States. We are committed to meeting the needs of our customers in more than 75 countries worldwide with quality products, global logistics and technical services.